Republicans controlling Congress and the White House are pushing to cut BILLIONS from essential services. At the same time, the Republican leadership is seriously considering extending even greater tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans and still spending $6 BILLION a month in Iraq. If they really want to cut the record deficits that they have caused they should clean up their own mess before forcing America’s neediest to sacrifice.
Here is a list of the programs they want to cut:
- Medicaid and Medicare—the primary health insurance provider for America's poor and elderly.
- Federal student loans—which make higher education possible for millions of American students.
- Child Nutrition Programs (school lunch and breakfast, summer meals, day care meals)—which provide basic nutrition to underprivileged children in every state.
- Food Stamps—the highly successful federal program that keeps millions of Americans from facing hunger and even starvation.
- Earned Income & Child Tax Credits—vital tax relief for low-income working families.
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation—the federal guarantor of private pension programs, needed more than ever in this era of major bankruptcies.
- State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and TANF—which provide basic cost of living support to millions of extremely low income and disabled Americans.
- Unemployment Insurance.
Like Social Security and the National Guard each of these public interest programs successfully serve the public good.
Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito is trying to justify voting with her Republican benefactors by spinning these cuts as a "shared sacrifice". We call it "mismanaging the public trust" and further proof that Republicans have no intention of leading us in the right direction.
These programs are important to preserve and you can help. Tell Congresswoman Capito to take a stand, for a change, by calling:
Congresswoman Shelley Moore CapitoPhone: 925-5964 Charleston, 264-8810 Martinsburg
We need to make absolutely sure that Second District Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito has the benefit of our opinions on this issue before she votes on this draconian measure!